Volunteers often are interested in raising funds to defray costs associated with an HVO assignment. HVO can assist by providing letters of support and/or materials (annual reports, newsletters, etc.) for civic clubs, professional associations or individuals interested in making a donation. In order to assure that proper procedures are observed, however, please note the following:
- The volunteer must be a current member and have been approved by the program director for an assignment before moving forward with a fundraising project. HVO staff should be aware of this fundraising activity so that donations can be properly accounted for.
- In order to be tax-deductible, the donor must make the check payable to "Health Volunteers Overseas". Gifts of cash to the volunteer or checks payable to the volunteer cannot be acknowledged by HVO and are not tax-deductible.
- Funds will be disbursed to volunteers upon presentation of appropriate receipts. Appropriate receipts include: travel-related expenses such as airfare, transportation to/from airports; vaccinations/medications related to the trip; excess baggage charges if taking materials for the site; visa fees and airport departure taxes; educational materials paid for by the volunteer to be donated to the site. HVO will NOT reimburse for purchase of personal items such as clothing, toiletries, or gifts for people at the site.
- At no time will HVO disburse more funds than have been received.
- Any remaining funds will be reallocated to support HVO programs.
HVO has a couple of tools available to assist volunteers who want to raise funds either for their own trip, for a specific project, or for HVO. These can be accessed by going to the Fellowships & Fundraising page.